Real Greek Mythology is a website and book dedicated to telling you the real story and inside scoop on Greek myths.
Both the website and book contain two main sections:
- Myths. Ancient stories retold as they would have been in ancient Greece, from Perseus to Pandora to many less well-known tales.
- Explanations. Essays, data, lists and compendiums of information on life in ancient Greece, what the stories mean, what the Greeks believed, and just generally cool geek stuff for those who want to know everything about the myths and religion of ancient Greece.
My promise to you: what you find in here will be authentic-- that is, nothing is changed (though some details might be left out) from what the Greeks told, and all of the data is backed up by scholarship done by professors who know their stuff. In fact, the author of this site has a doctorate in Greek and Latin literature and a specialty in Greek mythology-- and has written an online course you can take on young heroes in Greek mythology.
My hope for you: that you will find this site interesting (not boring) because it is REAL. American storytellers like to change Greek mythology to make it more like American mythology, because they think REAL Greek Mythology is boring to Americans (Have you ever seen Disney's "Hercules"?).
A short list of what's real and what's fake in Greek myths:
- FAKE Greek myths were told in order to explain things such as why the sun comes up
- REAL Greek myths were told to be enjoyed, like movies today
- FAKE Every Greek hero in myth becomes a god and lives happily ever after
- REAL Every Greek hero has a difficult life and only very few ever became gods
Browse through some of the stories and posts and let me know what you think. You can ask a question or make a comment-- respectfully, of course-- and I will answer.
Real Greek Mythology: the ancient Greeks in spirit and word.