I try to keep the navel gazing to a minimum here at BwP, but it is the end of the year, we are facing both sides of Janus, god of transitions, and a bit of self-reflection is in order.
I liked 2011. 2011 took a long time to be over and was challenging, which to me is a good year. As I get older, I want time to go slower, not faster.
Image found here.
When I was younger I couldn't wait till summer and the leisure that summer brings. Nowadays I am savoring every day, regardless of the activity (or lack thereof).
I learned in 2011 that I value BwP and want to keep at it, even if infrequently. This year I only did 37 posts, including this one, but I enjoyed writing every one, and I hope each of them was a good read. (37 is in fact an increase from 28 in 2010).
In the first years of BwP my focus was on Greek mythology, and most search engine queries still concern that topic. I am most frequently visited during the school year, when students are taking Greek myth courses in college.
But much of what I want to say about Greek Mythology is up. My focus in recent years and going forward has been on contemporary good stories, Hollywood and otherwise.
I would like 2012 to be a year for BwP where
- I write 50 posts or more. A post a week on average. Not too much geekifying on deep subjects, not too little
- I continue movie reviews, following mainstream Hollywood as best I can, searching for clues about what makes America tick, and what our future holds (stay tuned for Sherlock Holmes post)
- self-published books continue to get attention. I have decided not to do reviews except for those books I like, or at least books that someone will like. Life's too short to devote space to something you don't want someone to read. Note: I am very open to authors sending me books to review-- if I don't like the book, I'll tell you why in an email.
- I post on Greek Mythology as I am led.
- at least one food post gets done. Food is good.
- I keep up the dialogue about the business and craft of writing, and report on (fingers crossed) my publication success
BwP will serve as my brand name when and if I publish or sell my novels. One, Healing Knowledge, is in the query process with agents and publishers. Longtime readers will remember I posted several chapters of that a long time ago. Another, Skater in a Strange Land, currently has 12 chapters posted online. I just finished my first draft and have high hopes for it. Read a bit and see what you think.
Sometime in March 2012 I'll publish my 6th anniversary post. If you've read me from the beginning, why, thank you very much. If this is your first time having a spot of breakfast with the young lady from Greece, welcome. And however frequently you spend time here, I hope you are getting a diet rich in mythos and logos.